Treatment For Gum Disease
Periodontics & Dental Implants Specialist, Dr. Veisman, serving the Greater Toronto Area
What is gum disease?
Gum disease is a progressive condition that affects the hard and soft tissues of the mouth. This disease begins with an infection of the gums, which can cause inflammation and bleeding and lead to receding gums, tooth loss, and complications with systemic health. If no treatment measures are taken, gum disease will continue to progress, harming gums, bone, and teeth along the way. If you are showing signs of gum disease, the best choice is to seek treatment immediately. We provide periodontal treatment for every stage of gum disease and can help restore the health back to your gums and smile.
What causes gum disease?
Gum disease is caused by bacteria that gather from a buildup of plaque and tartar between the gums and teeth.
What are my treatment options?
The primary goal of all types of gum disease treatment is to remove the buildup of bacteria to keep it from spreading, halt bone loss, and improve the health and appearance of the teeth and gums.
- If your gums have become inflamed or damaged because of excess plaque and bacteria, there are several options for restoration. We recommend non-surgical procedures, such as scaling or root planing, for those with only moderate periodontal disease. Patients with gingivitis often need a “deep cleaning” in order to remove the dental plaque and tartar that have built up and cause gum inflammation. Scaling removes this buildup from the tooth roots. Root planing smooths rough edges of the tooth root to encourage healing and reduce the risk for bacteria populating in the future.
- Osseous (flap) surgery is the preferred treatment for those with the more advanced gum disease, but this procedure is simple—a more of an in-depth cleaning—requiring only local anesthesia. Stages of more advanced gum disease are characterized by deepening periodontal pockets around the teeth that harbor bacteria, plaque, and tartar buildup and cause the destruction of the surrounding bone and soft tissue. Osseous surgery cuts and “flaps” gum tissue back to the access more of the tooth for thorough cleaning. If gum disease has affected the bone, it is reshaped to promote the reattachment of the gum tissue.
How do I prevent gum disease?
Fortunately, gum disease can be prevented. Adding these habits to your daily routine will help.
- Brush your teeth twice daily.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Swish with mouthwash.
- Know your risk—age, smoking, and genetics can play a role.
- Have annual comprehensive periodontal evaluations with us!
Please call us or request an appointment.
Periodontal Specialists Phone Number 866-473-7464 Book Online
Our office hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00AM - 4:00PM.
How do I ensure that my gum disease does not return?
Routine monitoring of teeth and gums after gum disease treatment is the only way to ensure that the disease does not return. Periodontal maintenance is performed every three to four months and takes a more comprehensive approach to clean the teeth and caring for the gums and bone.
Benefits of Receiving Gum Disease Treatment at Periodontal Specialists
Periodontics is a specialty within dentistry that focuses solely on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases related to the gums. Dr. Veisman is a diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology, certified in this specialty to provide experienced care to those with gum disease. This specialization means you will receive care from a doctor who is highly knowledgeable and experienced in treating all stages of gum disease with effective and safe techniques. Gum disease treatment improves the appearance of a decayed smile by restoring the look and function of the gums, teeth, and bone. Restoring health to the smile also makes it easier for patients to care for their teeth and gums, helping prevent decay and disease from returning in the future. If you think you may have symptoms of gum disease, a comprehensive examination at our office can help us assess the health of your mouth and create a customized treatment plan.
For more about Dr. Veisman, an internationally recognized expert in his field, click here.
Our structured referral plan defines, in advance, the working relationship between your dentists and us. It ensures you have treatment options that make the best of your situation and excellent continuity of care.
We put as much emphasis on your comfort as we do on your dental care. Our PerioAsleep™ program allows you to sleep through your treatment.